⚠ In case you've missed it, we have migrated to our new website, with a brand new forum. For more details about the migration you can read our blog post for website migration. This is an archived forum. ⚠

•     

profile picture

Magic vs UltimADE

edramirez

edramirez
  • profile picture

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

Most of us who were already around as systems developers during the old DOS days will probably remember Magic and UltimADE.

During the early 90s, when database softwares were starting to spring up like mushrooms, a least-known software called Magic rose from nowhere. Magic was created by a U.S. Company called Magic Software Enterprises.

There were a number of international competitions held in different parts of the world. Those competitions featured the best of the best programmers worldwide, using the best tools around. Under competition rules, each team had to complete an entire project starting from 9AM to 7pm. For several years, teams using Magic consistently won competitions year after year. In many cases, a team using Magic was only made up of one person, while most others had two members per team. Not one software could stand up to the wrath of Magic.

Until one day UltimADE came along.

UltimADE was an xBase language IDE developed by a company in Israel. When UltimADE made its debut in the international competitions, there were already a number of Magic developers present. UltimADE brought Magic down to its knees and won almost every competition where Magic developers were expected to win.

Fast forward to the present time. GroceryCRUD is like the UltimADE of the 21st century. You only needed a few functions in order to create a robust system. When I compare UltimADE and GroceryCRUD, I see a great many similarities. Both are giant-killers in the software development world.

Regards,

Ed Ramirez

P.S. Don't forget to click the Like button  B)

web-johnny

web-johnny
  • profile picture
  • Administrator
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 19:25 PM

Hey [member='edramirez'] nice post.

I think you need to add some links so people that haven't used these tools (like me :) ) to actually see and read the history behind of it.

Cheers

Johnny